Every one of us heard at least one of those ridiculous things you can do to cheat a breathalyzer test to escape a DUI conviction.
It ranges from taking mints to cover the smell to putting a penny in your mouth because the copper is supposed to lower your BAC.
And I am telling you, these things do not work; just ask the Mythbusters because they did experiments to disprove these stuff in one of their 2003 episodes.
But in case you do not want to look for that episode, you can just check this list of Breathalyzer myths:
• Taking Mints – Well they sure can cover the smell of alcohol but the most it can do is give you fresh breath that you can use to beg the officer to let you go, because as far as measuring the BAC on your breath, it does not do squat.
• Putting a penny in your mouth – The copper in the coin is supposedly able to magically lower your BAC. Funny thing about that is that since the 80’s, all pennies in circulation are 97.5 % made of zinc. And if you are wondering if copper does make the BAC lower; the answer is still a big NO.
• Eating your underwear – This is as strange as it gets, but this did happen. The story is that a 28-year-old Canadian allegedly ate the crotch part of his underpants believing it will absorb the excess alcohol in his system. It does not work, and you must really be drunk if you actually believed that it will.
• Mouthwash – The mouthwash would actually register a higher BAC level that is why cops usually retest after a few minutes to get an accurate reading. So Listerine actually has a short effect, but instead of lowering your BAC it spikes it to like 10 times the legal limit.
• Other things to put in your mouth – Batteries, onions, lotion, whatever. None of it works.
The best way to beat the Breathalyzer test is still not actually getting drunk in the first place.
Even if you beat the test, you are putting yourself and other people in danger by just being a drunk on the road.
Do you really want that in your conscience?
So do not drink and drive.
Do what the rest of us do and take a cab.